Thursday, November 17, 2011

So lazy...

Should have gone for a run today...but instead...I didn't. It is really cold out and I blow-dried my hair this morning so it was just right. It will not be just right any more if I go for a run. Those are my pathetic excuses not to exercise. Shameful! So I will go on the weekend and then promise, promise..that I'll get back on track next week. Since I had to stop Jazzercise I have not really done a lot. Or at least I have not had a good routine of regular cardiac/weights exercise. My core has become weak and as we all know....IT'S ALL ABOUT THE CORE, PEOPLE!

Last weekend I took myself off in the van for a solitary weekend of camping. The rain fell in a near constant torrent and it was very cold. Mostly I sat in the warm van, wrapped up in a sleeping bag, and read. I did attempt a hike...but after my hands and feet went numb and it felt like there were pokers being jammed in my ears, I gave up and scurried back to the van.  I read "The Sense of an Ending" by Julian Barnes. I really enjoyed it. Although I would recommend it, I won't say anything about it because I have a way of talking about books that makes people NOT want to read them. So take my word (and the word of the Manbooker judges) that it's a good book. It was a very relaxing trip, although for some reason, perhaps the rain, the cold, the early onset of darkness, I felt more isolated on this trip. And there were other people around. I caught glimpses of hooded, waterproof covered figures with hunched shoulders and heads bent low, wandering around with no particular direction, like zombies. Maybe they were zombies...which would explain my slight sense of unease. And the flat tire I discovered on Sunday morning! And the chilling screams and groans, and sound of tearing flesh, that woke me in the middle of the night! Okay, I made that bit up. But I was greeted on Sunday morning by a flat tire! That bloody van has got it in for me. Thank goodness for BCAA. But I should learn to change a tire, I suppose. Thank goodness for BCAA so that I don't have to! A couple of pics...rounding of the season nicely. It was actually quite beautiful with everything draped and carpeted in gold.




Took the van to "Big O" a fun-filled tire changing place on Broadway. I had to wait over an hour because people are doing the winter-tire changeover...and "winterizing" their vehicles. I didn't know I would have to wait that long. I was scared to ask the tire-changing men; they looked cold and fed up and nothing like the people in this ad...the last thing they wanted to do was to answer a question. And they had no intention of smiling. It was: bring your car in...shut your mouth...wait for us to do the f$$king tires...then pay us and piss off! But that was just my impression and I didn't hold it against them, they did a great job. Incidentally, it's 20mins per car. What a task; changing car tires day in and day out...in the freezing cold. To be fair, I was informed that when there isn't a line-up of 20 cars and it's not sub-zero temps then things are way more pleasant for everyone involved. Understandable.

Bronwyn back at the dentist tomorrow for more sedation and treatment. She has a cold and is congested so she may not be able to have it done. She will be very disappointed she doesn't get her "medicine".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"That bloody Van" is not a good way to speak to her. Respect her and she will respect you. It's a 2 way street.

Victoria said...

Potentially leaving me stranded in the middle of nowhere in the rain and freezing cold is not a good way to treat me!

Wendy Flawn said...

Re Dentist, there is always something in my mind to be said for negligent dentists, an easy life for parents with young children. When the problems come back to haunt them hopefully they will be old enough to go on their own and I will not have to be there to witness it all!! Aint it good to be British.

Looks like a lovely location and some well earned relaxation. Hopefully that will have outweighed your truculant truck!

Keep smiling and enjoying and be thankful you do not change tyres all day!

Wxx